How do I select a fence company or fence contractor?
Here are a few questions to ask a prospective fence contractor/company.
- Ask how long they have been in business. Are they well established?
- Ask to see if they are members of the Better Business Bureau.
- Ask if they use their own employees or a sub-contractor.
- Ask how familiar are they with local building codes.
- Ask if they have general liability and workers compensation insurance policies.
- Ask for a signed estimate and shop it around.
- Ask for at least two other customer references and take a look at their fence.
- Ask for a time table on work completion.
- Ask how much they charge up-front. It should be no more than 50%.
- Ask for or inquire about their warranty on materials and installation.
Before you contact a fence contractor make sure you have this information.
- Building permits if necessary
- Property boundary information
- Location of underground gas, water and power lines